Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sam update

So we finally got around to having Sam's 12 month check-up - it turns out I didn't pre-schedule like I thought I did. But we were in before 13 months so it isn't that bad. He is growing well - long but getting skinny at 9th percentile so we are going to try to bulk him up a little bit :) He is a voracious eater though so his weight surprised me a little.

Anyway his development isn't lacking. He can now stand up by himself in the middle of the floor for several seconds maybe even 1/2 a minute but he just doesn't seem to trust himself to take the steps forward - I expect it anytime now.

He can say Dada, momma, kitkat, mmm (for milk or more), ball, balloon and more I am sure that I just can't think of right now. And he really LOVES balls - any kind of ball - the moon, the sun, a light fixture and the kind you roll on the ground too.

He also makes a blowing noise with his mouth when he sees bubbles b/c he knows he is supposed to blow them after watching his sister. It also is neat b/c if he sees the wind blowing the leaves he makes the same sound. Daddy brought out his recorder and Sam likes to blow in it to make it sing - really gets a kick out of it.

Speaking of music - Sam loves to dance - Hannah never really got into that but Sam ounces around to our singing or the radio.

He amazes me with his concentration level - he may get quiet and if I don't find him trying to eat inappropriate things (dirt, wet cat food etc :) ) he is intent on playing with his toys. Most recently we bought some lacing cards for Hannah so she could practice -thinking it may be a little advanced for her (they said 3-7yo) but she is working hard on them. Well after watching his big sister I found Sam tonight under the kitchen table while I was cooking dinner concentrating very hard and actually putting the shoestring tip into the lacing card hole!! He just amazes me - his fine motor skills to be able to hold the tip of the string then get it in the hole have really progressed. Now of course he wasn't lacing, he didn't understand to pull the string through but it was great to see. It was also interesting to see his patience. I could tell he was a little frustrated and he would give a umph sound at times but then when he succeeded he also gave a joyous sound and looked up to make sure we saw.

He lets us know we are loved as well - he is a big snuggler, wanting to be around us or held by us a lot which we easily oblige (most of the time - while cooking it makes it a challenge but then we break out the carrier). And the affection for his sister and she for him is growing and very heart warming to watch.

Good times enjoying our growing kids!

No comments: