Friday, December 10, 2010

My College Roomies

My roomies - Laura, me and Leslie in front of Table Rock in SC.On our 2 mile hike -

My sophomore year in college I met Laura when we both moved into the Wesley foundation and were assigned to room together. I didn't know her and she didn't know me but we started corresponding via snail mail over the summer b/t my freshman and sophomore years (her soph. and junior years). While living together in the Wesley Foundation her former dorm mate Leslie visited a lot! We all became friends and the next year we three moved to the "apartment" in the Wesley Foundation - it was the BEST year of a college living situation for me. I still say that if we didn't have husbands or kids I would still love living with them. We were all bridesmaids in each others' weddings and have stayed close through email and conversation over the years. Leslie and her family get together with myself and my family probably twice a year - a time I cherish! Laura now lives out of the country and so getting together is more of a challenge. In fact it was 3 years ago that I last saw her in person - just after her 2nd child was born - I had not even met her 3rd child. Although we all agree that b/c we all write family blogs we feel like we know each other's kids. Anyway, Laura and her family have been in the states for the last several months - just recently in NC and so in anticipation of this state-side visit we planned a trip - just the 3 of us. We considered making it a family trip but felt the best focused time would be without our combined 8 kids 6yo and younger!
At the beginning of this week we heard that the mountain house where we were going to stay had 1.5 ft of snow and more coming down. So we had to think quick for another plan. After some leg work by Laura on the web we found a great little cabin in Travelers Rest, SC that was perfect for us! The cabin was in a RV park that wasn't much to speak of but the cabin itself was great - fresh, clean, all wood, small but just the essentials. It was GREAT! So Laura and I drove down Wednesday morning and met Leslie there. We talked non-stop (no joking!) from the time we left until the time we got back except for maybe an hour and while we were sleeping - it was great! Such a good time of fellowship and conversation and reconnecting. We even squeezed in a 2 mile hike at a local state park.
I just love those girls. I am very grateful for this opportunity and for all of our extended families who watched our kids to make it possible for us to go - so thanks to the dads and grandparents!!
We came home today - Friday morning. I was sad to say goodbye to Leslie as she headed home - although I know I will see her in a matter of months. Laura and I made a couple of stops and then headed to my house. Due to a perfect convergence of events her husband was able to bring their kids to pick her up and share a pizza dinner. What a treat! I was able to meet her kids and spend more time with her husband and have them all meet and spend some time with my family. The kids were just precious. Maybe it was that Julianna and Lydia were older (4 and 3) or maybe that there were 3 of them with their brother Isaac (1.5yo) but Hannah was just precious and had no problem sharing her treasures (Sam did well too and was in a great mood). They played so well together - loved seeing them hold hands and sing ring around the rosy together :) Of course my only sadness was that Leslie and her family couldn't be a part of this.
Although it was sad to see them go I am looking forward to our next opportunity when they are back in the states.
Thank you Lord for this blessed opportunity!

No comments: