Saturday, January 8, 2011

My First Quilt Complete

So I have loved quilts and quilting for a long time (there is such artistry and color and texture in quilts) but I didn't consider taking on the project b/c the time commitment was intimidating. Well Brent has been encouraging me to find a hobby (other than surfing the web reading other's blogs :)) for a while. When Hannah was moving into a big girl bed I went on the look out for bedding and nothing really struck my fancy - I wanted a quilt but they either were too pricey or looked too "not handmade" - so I decided I wanted to make her a quilt. So I bought the fabric and realized I really didn't know what I was doing. Someone local was offering a class so I jumped in and decided since the class project was a crib size quilt I would make one for Sam. I started in Nov - the class ended in Dec with a promise that once I quilted it I could come back to learn the binding. Well I became too impatient so I finished it tonight and learned the binding (with mitered corners) with web videos!!

It is certainly not perfect (don't look at the binding on the back) but I am proud to have done it and look forward to more in the future!! Sam loved it even before I was finished b/c of the balls on it!

Next up - Hannah's quilt! And then I want to learn to free motion quilt - just found out my machine will do it so we bought the foot today :) I just wish I could share this with my grandmothers as they both quilted.

BTW - it really is a true rectangle - it looks a little wonky b/c of the angle of the camera.


3 comments:

Kirk and Tiffany (and KJ) said...

Great Job with the quilt!! I was going through my old emails and happened across one of your last emails while you were at MC. Lots of things have changed since you've left. I hope all is going well with you. I've added your blog to my "following" so that I can see how things are going with your family! Looks like ya'll are great.

laura said...

it looks great Sara!

Leslie said...

It is beautiful! I love the multi-fabric binding. I know Sam will love it!