As you can see the kids are snuggled in their stroller - we LOVE this thing and have gotten lots of use out of it! We are the safety conscious family as you can tell with everyone wearing helmets :) This stroller is quite the ride - they are able to keep their water, snack, books and toys close at hand. Hannah's face is a "oh Mom, let's get going already"
Maybe not the best pics but at least there is evidence I was on the trip too :)
There was some beautiful scenery along the way - the light may not show it but the colors were awesome - what a blessing God provided for us to be able to enjoy His beauty.
There are something like 43 bridges to ride over along this trail. We planned to ride just 17 miles to Damascus since we had kids in tow. The entire trip took us a couple of hours since we were taking our time and enjoying the scenery along the way. The kids did well although at the end they were a little weary so we were glad we hadn't planned to do the entire trail this time. The kids and I found an awesome playground to entertain ourselves while Brent took the shuttle back to the top to bring the car back and pick us up. It was a gorgeous day!
We found nice camping facilities at the Virginia Creeper Campgrounds - if you are looking I highly recommend them - flat sites and clean facilities. Brent and I are used to off-trail camping actually having only rarely camped in a campground but with the kids we realize we need to change up our "usual" to make things more agreeable for all. We did a trial run with the tent by sleeping in it in our backyard Sunday night. That went well so we anticipated a good time. We were right. The kids (as well as ourselves) slept well and warmly in the larger tent we borrowed from Nonni and Opa. We slept so well that we didn't realize how chilly it was in the am - a cool 39degrees! So needless to say we looked forward to our hot oatmeal and yes - fresh brewed coffee :) Both the kids did well - Hannah was just needing a little more snuggling at this moment.

Fortunately we were car camping so we strapped the kids in their seats and turned on the heat while we broke camp. We then enjoyed a 1/2 hour ride to Grayson Highlands. I love this area - it is so gorgeous no matter the season. We had not been up here in at least 5 years and boy have we missed it. Here you can see the cloud lakes in the distance.

The last time we were at this spot South of Wilburn Ridge was during an intense snow storm that was so intense we had to turn around and abandon our ascent b/c of the frigid very stiff winds.
The kids loved it!
Hannah wanted to test out the various rocks along the way.
Another cool view of the cloud lakes before they burned off.
The wild horses are known to be in the area but we didn't expect to see them so well! On the way up we saw 2 and we were fortunate enough to see 3 on the way down.
Hannah had no concern about running ahead - heading to the rock pile.
Here is a view atop the rocks in the above picture.
This is true Hannah - hamming it up - and I think the look on Sam's face is so funny.
Again - an attempt at a self-family pic.
And back down again. Note that Hannah is in a dress - her choice of course. She has become a big fan of dresses and if possible she would like them to have a good twirl-factor.
Here are the horses on the way down - they let us get so close - I was amazed!
Sam got a ride partway down the mountain.
I will let the pics speak for themselves but know the views were more spectacular than the pics can show.

I Love Fall!

This blog is to share the goings-on of our life with Hannah and Sam. We hope you enjoy watching as they grow up.
Saturday, October 8, 2011
Quick Trip to the Mountains!
Brent and I rode the Virginia Creeper Trail on one of our Anniversary trips a number of years ago and looked forward to going back sometime. The Virginia Creeper Trail is a 34mile crushed gravel path that has been built on an old railroad bed. The trail runs from Whitetop Station to Abbingdon, VA - the first 17 miles at least are a slow slope downhill with the last 8 miles steadily climbing uphill. Ever since Hannah joined our family and we bought a stroller/bike trailer we have talked of taking a family trip - this was the year that we did and we had such a good trip. It was just a quick trip - up in the am of Fri and back in the afternoon on Sat but it was a full trip and we were blessed with such good weather! So here Brent is with the kids - can you see them? The trail is meant for mountain bikes but we made it fine with Brent's road bike and my hybrid.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Looks like it was a great little trip. I've ridden the Creeper Trail from Abingdon to Damascus. It's a fantastic trail. I work for a company in Abingdon and travel there regularly on business, but I don't take my bike as often as I should. :(
Gorgeous!! It looks like you had a great family trip, full of wonderful memories. I know there will be many more camping trips in your future!
Post a Comment