Monday, August 11, 2014

The Days May Be Long But The Years Are Short

A friend once shared the title of this post with me and it has resonated true for me for a long time now. The days have been long - long with babies attached at the breast, not wanting to sleep or not wanting to be put down - long with toddlers climbing everywhere, putting hands in everything and everything in mouths - long with preschoolers learning independence, wanting more independence than they know what to do with, learning how to control their emotions - long because of so many things. BUT these days that turned into years have been a short blink of the eye. Today Brent and I took both kids to school. Yes they have been in preschool for a few years, but that is not the same. Today Hannah entered 1st grade - into a classroom of 1st, 2nd, 3rd graders where we are hopeful she will grow and learn and blossom over the next 3 years. Today we took Sam to Kindergarten - into a classroom of 3, 4 and 5yos in hopes he will learn but also help to lead as he grows and blossoms. He was ready and bounded into the classroom, she was trepidatious and wanted to hold hands a little longer, unsure about heading in to the unfamiliar environment.

This marks a big milestone for our family. Brent and I made a commitment when Hannah (and then Sam) was born that we wanted to both be as present as possible for our kids. Fortunately we both were able to make choices with our jobs that made this possible. Although we discussed one of us staying home, we both decided for our family (and everyone has to make their own choices) that neither of us would be a stay at home parent but rather we would work our best to juggle jobs and children. It has been a crazy several years. We have, with the help of Nana for a time, our friend Lisa McCartney for a time and a handful of other sitters in addition to church preschool programs, been able to achieve this. Has it been chaos? yes. Has it been a struggle at times? yes. Has it been a test of our patience? yes. Has it been worth it? Absolutely!! I don't know that Brent or I would change any aspect of it. But times, they are a changin'. We are now entering a phase where both kids are in school, full-time, five days a week - wow! Brent and I will have more freedom in when and how we get our jobs done with less need to juggle every minute of our day-time schedules with making sure of who is caring for the kids. We will spend more time in prayer that they are being loved, cared for and shepherded in their current environments and will look forward to our time at home with them. As I sit here in the quiet thinking of the last several years leading up to this point I am grateful. Simply grateful.

 Hannah happy to have her picture taken :)
 Sam not wanting to be interrupted while he was reading his book, not wanting to hold the K sign I made but Hannah trying to get in on the action.
 Ok, well maybe Sam will smile.
Here we go - a much better smile - but still not holding the sign :) You can see why I am often asked if they are twins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think both you and Brent have AMAZING juggling skills. Maybe you guys could consider a circus act in the future--you know, since you aren't busy now with the kids in school. ;-) Seriously, hugs to you on this new stage of your family journey. Chris