Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Customer Service - the great and the terrible

I don't normally comment about customer service experiences but have had 2 very different experiences of late. The first is the not good one - I have been a customer of Alltel for 12 years so have been happy or satisfied with their service. For the last 3-4 months we haven't been receiving bills and Brent (whose phone was tied to them) kept receiving calls from their billing department and was being routed to their billing department to pay our bill. It was utterly frustrating b/c we contacted them about this with no help whatsoever. I even email the VP of Investor relations who turned out to be no help. So after 12 years of being their customer we switched to Virgin Mobile and are going to try the pre-paid no contract thing. When I called to cancel our account - they sent to the "let's keep 'em" department and they promised all kinds of things to get us to stay but I was fed up and when the guy realized I was done - he made excuses and got an attitude with me - so I was confirmed in our decision to dump them!

The other story is the complete opposite! I have shopped on Amazon and been satisfied a number of times. Most recently we needed a new carseat for Hannah as she is getting too big for her current one. So after much research as to the right brand/model I went to find the best price - which happened to be on Amazon. I ordered it 2 days ago and am eagerly awaiting the arrival. I went on the web to show Mom the pattern I bought b/c it is a fun cow pattern :) and found that they had dropped the price even further by another $20 dollars. Not knowing if they would refund the difference I decided to get in touch. They had an option for me to sign up for them to call me "right now, really" their website said. Well no sooner had I punched in our telephone number did our phone ring and when I answered it I was momentarily connected to a service agent who had my information in front of him - it was AMAZING! Incidentally they did refund the difference which is even better news - but just the speediness of the encounter was astonishing - way to go AMAZON! I will certainly continue to honor them with my business and would suggest others do the same!

1 comment:

Mark said...

Don't know if you know but Alltel got bought out by Verizon a few months ago and Verizon is well known for their very very bad customer service. Mom and Dad are going to be in the same boat soon I am afraid because they have Alltel as well. We ran into that when Suncom (our carrier) got bought by T-mobile and almost immediately got very bad customer service, lost bills and all kinds of dropped calls. And Amazon IS awesome.