Sunday, May 31, 2009

Personal Musings

For those of you who do not know - I have decided to step out of the management role I have been in for the last year. I don't typically share about my work life as my family life is priority esp on this blog but wanted to process a little about this change. Looking back on this past 12 months - it is only by the grace of God (really) that we have all made it through. In this time we put our house on the market, sold it in a week, had to then pack and move in a 3 weeks (1 of which we weren't home so we had 15 days to pack the house and move) and we had a 3 month old at the time!! We couldn't have done that without our family and friends! Hannah had more than 1 trip on an airplane and has covered more states than I had until I was in my teens. I started the management position that has continued to grow and expand. After we found out we were being blessed with our little boy on the way and with the role continuing to expand I decided I need to step back into the clinic to better serve my family. There were certainly positives about the role including its flexibility but inevitably I was giving it more time than I wanted while I tried to balance work and family. It was certainly a learning opportunity this past year, for which I am grateful and I got to know some new faces which was also cool. I feel I served the role well and provided a positive transition through change. It is a little weird to me as I thought working from home would give more ability to have that flexibility but b/c I wanted to do the best job I always found my list grew and in the process I didn't maintain some friendships as well as I would have liked and didn't feel that I had the time to step away. I only had 1 weekend "off" in the entire year - I am not blaming anyone for that except for myself though. I am glad/appreciative that the Lord seems to be working in the entire transition as there was another manager who wanted to relocate and she appears to be a good fit. I also have been blessed b/c although I had planned to step into an opening at a clinic about a 30-45 min drive from my house - another opening came available only 15 min from home. I have never in my professional life been able to work so close to home. I have always had at least a 30 min commute - so this is another blessing. My last day in the management role is today so all of this has been going through my head and I wanted to share. I will officially be back in the clinic FT starting tomorrow. Although I will miss Hannah on the 3 days when I am in the clinic (I will get to see her in the am but won't be home to see her before bed) - I look forward to really being off when I am not working in the clinic and can fully pay attention to her and be fully present. Although balancing being a working mom is a challenge we are blessed to be able to work out childcare b/t myself, Brent and Nana (coming 2 days a week) - for which I am grateful!
I have already looked into some playgroups and mommies groups in the area and look forward to getting out and about with her more! She is at an age where she is really enjoying that sort of thing - she loves to be outside, enjoys seeing other kids and is quite the adventurer.
I am 26 weeks pregnant today - and will have another ultrasound in a couple of weeks to check his growth. I enjoy the pictures and am praying he won't have growth problems like they thought Hannah had.
Anyway - enough for now - more pictures of Hannah to come in the next post :)

1 comment:

laura said...

i loved reading this Sara! thanks for sharing :)