Sunday, June 13, 2010

Missing Lessons Learned

Yesterday I attended a workshop by the owner/founder of Cook For Good (cookforgood.com) - it was at our local market - just a short walk away. The workshop was about being creative without wasting things to maximize our foods and to eat healthy and inexpensively. Although I found it interesting it made me think about my grandparents and miss them. The speaker gave suggestions about using the tips of asparagus that you snap off, using the leftover bean juice after cooking dried beans etc. So what does this have to do with my grandparents? Well it made me wonder what tips they would have learned during leaner times for cooking on a budget or using what you have from the garden to put food on the table. Several years ago I took a video of my Granny and Papaw and got them talking about some fun memories - I love looking back on that to see their mannerisms and hear their voices and their stories - oh how I wish I had done a video about all the tips or things they knew that they could pass along. Same with Mamaw - wonder what tips she would have and if the tips the speaker I heard from were the same things that she may have done in earlier years. How we take for granted having the store right down the street to give us all our hearts desired with very little thought to how our food got there or where it came from - miss you Granny, Papaw and Mamaw ~

No comments: