Sunday, September 20, 2009

What I Now Better Understand

As we are now almost 4 weeks into our new adventure with 2 children - still amazes me to be able to say that - there are some things I have a better understanding of than before. I now understand why moms with multiple smalls kids don't reply to email, don't answer the phone, may not return a phone call. I now better understand why late night is a time of peace and why I enjoy it as such and struggle to want to go to bed even though I know I will be back up shortly. This is not to knock families with 1 child - having just been there it is a challenge as well b/c everything is new and untested. But boy it is different with 2 kids - in a good way. Trying to balance routines is already a challenge - hoping to get Sam to follow Hannah's routine is really what we are trying. Getting out the door is another such challenge or trying to feed Sam while preparing dinner (God Bless those who have brought meals and the Dinner Afare place where we purchased 24 meals to be used over ever how long they last)! I also now understand more about why TV can become a part of people's lives - trying to entertain an 18 month old while I feed Sam is a challenge - but truth be told Hannah does well to entertain herself and she LOVESng - I mean L-O-V-E-S to look at her stack of books - really can look at them for long periods of time so that helps. And we don't have cable so I am fortunately limited to a very small list of DVDs that we have and that i try to use sparingly. Although we have gone back and forth about getting satellite or cable again mainly for sports I really don't want it b/c I don't want to be too dependent on it for H and S's sake - but if we do get it again I know I have a remote that will turn it off :). Anyway - I also never thought I would love a double stroller as much as I love mine (thanks Nonni and Opa).
So I am sure this will grow as life goes on but wanted to share some of my most recent thoughts. Sam will be 4 weeks old on Tues - so hard to think a month has passed already but also feels as
if he has always been a part of our family. Hannah is warming up to him - now initiating contact - kisses on his head or touching his feet or hands. We just have to continue to work with her about being gentle - that gentle does not mean "whack a head" ;) But I think she is a great big sister and will continue to be one!!
I will post pics when we get to Tues - keeping up the tradition of putting him in his coming home outfit to see how much he as grown - as we did with Hannah. Until then . . .

2 comments:

laura said...

Oh, the challenge of entertaining the siblings while feeding the baby :) I taught (trained?) mine to either play in their rooms (a good baby gate is a great investment) or to sit on the couch and look at books. In my opinion it's worth getting the older siblings established in a good routine with this to prep for when Sam is older and easily distracted during feedings and you need to leave the room to feed him.

Leslie said...

I think life is hard for the first five weeks after any birth - so you just have one more week to go! Looking forward to seeing the pictures.