Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Check-ups

So part of Hannah turning 1 year was to go to her 12 month check up. Her head continues to be ample space for lots of brains as she was 84%tile for her head circumference, her length was 48%tile and her weight was 19%tile. At her 9 month check up her weight changed from about the 50%tile to about the 20%tile so that didn't change at this check up and is common as babies change to solid foods and start to get around more which she is doing quite well! :) I have had the sense due to some subtle behaviors that she has reflux but don't want her on medication unless she really needs it - I mentioned this to the PNP we see who suggested a consultation by a speech pathologist specializing in swallowing. I waffle between feeling like I am an overprotective, overanalytical mom to trusting my knowledge and instincts. Well I got home to make the appt and they happened to have one available later the same day instead of having to wait for a month. It was a thorough and informative appointment. According to the speech pathologist Hannah did exhibit some behaviors that would indicate reflux including something she was doing with her tongue that we had noticed but didn't think anything about. So we have some things to work on and of course my hope is that through lifestyle changes we can get her over this hump without medications. Don't get me wrong it isn't as if her reflux is bad but I have concerns even about mild persistent reflux causing long-term problems/damage. So we will be working specifically using her spoon in a particular way to help her tongue get used to how it is supposed to act. Another change we are going to try is changing her from cows milk to goats milk which is more easily digestable - I am very tempted to buy a goat given the price of goats milk :) but not sure what my homeowners association would think about that :). I will post an update when we see how it turns out - here is hoping we won't need to go beyond lifestyle changes.

Other than that everything else is progressing along. I had an OB visit this week and we got to hear the baby's heartbeat again which is always reassuring. We have an ultrasound in a couple of weeks and look forward to being able to share the baby's gender :)

Until then . . .

2 comments:

laura said...

I think you should buy the goat Sara. between two children under age 2 and a goat, you should stay busy :)

Anonymous said...

It's a girl!!!! :)
And if you buy a goat I think you should name it billy, or billie depending on it's gender. :) LOVE YOU GUYS!!